Whether you’re fighting cliff or preparing for your next raid, you’ll eventually have to fight the flying beast Aerodactyl or his mega version. Knowing his weaknesses so you can prepare accordingly is critical to taking out this flying rock.
In this guide we’ll go over Aerodactyl and Mega Aerodactyl’s stats, how to counter them and the best Pokemon types to bring.
Aerodactyl's Stats, Weaknesses & Counters
Luckily for us, Aerodactyl and his Mega version have the same types and therefore the same weaknesses! The only major difference is the CP of the Mega version is much higher. Therefore you’ll want to bring some heavy hitting Pokemon if you’re taking on the Mega version in a raid.
Aerodactyl’s max CP: ~ 3147
Mega Aerodactyl’s max CP: ~ 4655
Mega / normal Aerodactyl’s type: Flying and Rock-type.
Weak against: Electric, Ice, Rock, Steel and Water-types.
As you can see as long as you bring your strongest Pokemon of the types listed above and you should have a good shot at winning. But if you don’t already have some strong Pokemon in your collection, we’ll recommend some below. Please know that the counters listed below will not contain every option, so just use your best Pokemon-types available!
Good Aerodactyl Counters & Movesets
- Metagross – Bullet Punch & Meteor Mash
- Zekrom – Charge Beam & Wild Charge
- Kyogre – Waterfall & Hydro Pump
- Rampardos – Smack Down & Rock Slide
- Therian Thundurus – Volt Switch & Thunderbolt
- Rhyperior – Smack Down & Rock Wrecker
- Empoleon – Metal Claw & Hydro Cannon
- Kingler – Bubble & Crabhammer
- Raikou – Volt Switch & Wild Charge
- Swampert – Water Gun & Hydro Cannon
- Mamoswine – Powder Snow & Avalanche
- Tyranitar – Smack Down & Stone Edge
Good Mega Aerodactyl Counters & Movesets
All Pokemon listed for the normal Aerodactyl counters will work for the Mega version, but you’ll want to use the strongest Pokemon you have. So for this raid boss, it could man you’ll need some Mega Pokemon of your own. Also the non Mega versions of any of these will also counter Aerodactyl.
- Mega Blastoise – Water Gun & Hydro Cannon
- Shadow Metagross – Bullet Punch & Meteor Smash
- Mega Manectric – Thunder Fang & Wild Charge
- Mega Gyrados – Waterfall & Hydro Pump
- Mega Ampharos – Charge Beam & Zap Cannon
- Mega Abomasnow – Powder Snow & Weather Ball
Mega Aerodactyl Raid Tips
Now that you’ve gathered some strong Pokemon that counter Aerodactyl, it’s time to get your own Mega Aerodactyl from a raid!
Mega Aerodactyl’s Raid Boss CP: 56399
Before you jump in you should first know that when you defeat it you’ll get Mega Aerodactyl Energy instead of having a chance to straight up capture the Mega version.
For your first Mega evolution you’ll need 200 Mega Aerodactyl Energy. Subsequent evolutions will only require 40 energy.
It’s also recommended that you bring at least 4 other trainers all with their strongest Pokemon. It’s also always a good idea to bring in your own Mega Pokemon.
You do not have to bring the Pokemon listed above, instead just prioritize the types that counter Aerodactyl and try to combo that with the moves listed above as well. For example, you may not have a Kyogre, but have a Gyrados with Waterfall and Hydro Pump.
Other than that, just bring your normal items that you would for any raid and have fun!